Thursday, October 25, 2012

What to do on a rainy afternoon...

Tiny Tot Trot
I love those articles and emails about what you could do with your kids when its raining outside. See, I was born in Florida and though I didn't live there much after I could walk, if you didn't play outside in the rain, then you didn't play outside. Then we moved to Arizona, where kids don't want to play outside until it rains in fear that they might come back inside the house looking like a sweaty tomato.  When it rains and kids flock to the windows, you would think that they were seeing Santa Clause or something!  I can say about the only time the thought, "running might be fun", would cross my mind would be on a rainy afternoon.  It would remind me of all the endings to great sappy movies, where the couple torn by misunderstanding of their love for one another, would run towards each other drench from the rain. Ha. It always has to be raining. Alas, this blog post is not actually about rain. Its about the day I decided to run. Yes. I entered the the insane club. Of course I was/am influenced by some people of questionable sanity, namely Kris and Brooke, but don't tell them that I mentioned their names ;)

Anyways, so it began one rainy afternoon on October 7th, when I thought. I've always wanted to go for a run in the rain. I had bought a wind breaker at Goodwill only to find out it was a kids large and fit a little funny, but hey it worked! Honestly, I didn't even think I could run a mile! I didn't run much more than a mile, but I still did it. I wasn't sold on becoming a runner, but after emailing Kris who is like a cheer leading/ Barnabas running junk or something, she had me interested. If you ask me on a day to day basis why I have kept running these last 3 weeks, I'd say homeschooling and cleaning drove me to it! but Kris' encouragement keeps me going! She's already got me reading a book, blogs, articles...on running...who am I? Thanks, Kris, thanks a lot. What did you do to me?

Tiny Tot Trot....not quite a 5k :)

Off My Rocker

So somehow Kris has convinced me to enter a 5k this coming Saturday only after 3 weeks of running. Until last week I had never ran 3 miles before! I was very much relieved when I actually did run 3 miles {insert screeching record sound} ok, wait up...I can't actually run 3.1 miles. No, not yet I can't. Its more walk/run intervals. Hey, its a thing! I can justify this because people actually train to do this intentionally, even in marathons (I would think especially in marathons!). So, I will be the one in my full speed jog being passed up speed walkers and regular walkers alike! I only get a 2 minute head start before the walkers start and I know that's not enough! But people will be dressed in costumes, the kids get to do a fun run, and it will be family friendly, so its a good one to start with....pray for me, none the less!

Sorry, this was a really long post all about me. and running. but at least I can look back a year from now and see where I am. You know it's tough having a blog. Its me, me, me all day long! {that was suppose to be a quote from Julie and Julia, but I think I messed it up}

I have to go spray Freeze it! all over my body. I'm telling Adam its my new body spray.

1 comment:

  1. this is the friend of questionable sanity "Chuck". Leah has listened to every word I said about running, has read my recommendations and TOTALLY KICKED HER 1ST 5K TO THE MOON!! Way to go new runner girl!! Glad I have converted yet another to the 'darkside' :)!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete